I was so excited to publish my first blog recipe that when I first posted it I neglected to even write anything about it! But Pascal (or Mark Twain, or T.S. Eliot, or….) was on to something when he lamented: “I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time.” The focus of this blog is the food, so I’ll always try to keep my comments brief.
Orange Tofu Stir Fry seemed like a fitting first post because it is one of the first recipes I really developed on my own. In college it seems like every dinner is a “stir fry” of some sort, so I set out to make a stir fry that distinguished itself. After much experimentation, Orange Tofu Stir Fry seemed to do just that. With crisp, puffy tofu, lightly fried spicy broccoli, a citrusy sauce (that is just the right amount of sweet and sticky, not too much of either!), and a crunchy peanut garnish, it satisfies every flavor and texture craving!
For the Marinade
- 2 T fresh Ginger
- 4 cloves fresh Garlic, crushed and diced
- 2 T Basil, finely chopped
- 1 T Sesame oil
- 1 T Chili oil
- 3 T Soy sauce
- 3 T rice vinegar
- 1 T water
- Sriracha, to taste (it depends how spicy you like it!)
- 2 T lime juice
For the Sauce
- 2 T marinade plus 1 T sesame oil
- Red pepper flakes
- ½ cup Orange juice
- ½ cup Vegetable broth
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 3 T brown sugar
- corn starch
For the Tofu
- 1 block
- Corn starch
- 2 T marinade plus 1 T olive oil
- 1 large head Broccoli
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 5 mushroom, sliced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- ground black pepper and maggi (or soy sauce or salt), to taste
- peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Make the marinade: mix all ingredients together in Tupperware container.
- Marinate the tofu: Drain and rinse tofu. Wrap in paper towel, and then press water out by placing on plate and placing other plate on top with heavy objects on top. Leave for about 30 minutes.
- Unwrap and dry tofu. Cut into about 32 cubes. Place all tofu cubes in Tupperware with marinade. Shake to coat the tofu pieces. Refrigerate for at least one hour, up to 4.
- To bake the tofu: heat oven to 375. Remove tofu from marinade and brush off large chunks of garlic/ginger; save the marinade!! You will use it later. Place tofu pieces on baking sheet and lightly dust with cornstarch. Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating halfway through, until browned and puffy.
- Prepare the sauce: Take 2 T of remaining marinade (including ginger and garlic chunks) and heat with an additional tablespoon sesame oil in sauce pan. Add red pepper. Cook on medium heat about 5 minutes or until garlic and ginger are fragrant. Add all other ingredients except cornstarch. Cook on medium heat.
- Mix 1T cornstarch with about 1T warm water to form a paste. Pour into sauce and stir. Bring sauce to simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables: heat remaining marinade plus 1T olive oil in large frying pan. Add onion and cook until translucent (4 minutes on medium heat). Add broccoli, bell pepper and mushrooms. Cook vegetables about 5 minutes. Add ¼ cup chopped peanuts and remove from heat.
- Serve tofu, vegetables and sauce over rice. Garnish with additional chopped peanuts and sesame seeds.
All rights reserved. Please do not republish recipe or photos without express written permission.